View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevin6 View Post
About the Netherlands i like to correct a bit your fact or at least add the current stiuation in my city.
In my city, Nijmegen, they still have initations in the open, in public. The only fact is that over the last years they became more brave and as they still could end up in lingerie, they nowadays wear only very decent lingerie. The local newspaper "De Gelderlander" did report about it over the last years. I guess they are nowadays informed and instructed before to wear decent lingerie.
For many other cities (Amsterdam, Groningen, Leiden, Utrecht) the situation in the open ( there are different kind of initiations) is comparable to Nijmegen. But I aimed at the initiations that take place within the societies themselves. That is quite a different story. In the past ( I remember the situation inside my own studenthouse in leiden very vivid) some rituals were performed in the open. Or in the house where part of a student group would live. Until the press kept reporting and many notorious societies (like Veritas, Albert magnus or Minerva ) got such a bad review they decided to perform most of it within their own four walls. Up until now almost no photo made it to the net. Another fact for the Netherlands is that many students have no mood to join any society anymore. Unless your parents are filthy rich or you prefer a career in politics or banking it is not worth it. If a person joins their clan he or she should realize it ain't a pickinick. It might not be as severe compared to Greek life in the States. Still alcohol (not allowed but who cares) and sexual intimidation are reported but mostly left unnoticed by the police. Studentsocieties seem to have their own justice department.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjj7777 For This Useful Post: