Thread: Life's a beach
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Curator of the museum of public nudity

Thanked 106,733 Times in 6,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcook View Post
I greatly appreciate those guys who contribute and contribute and contribute. Such as osreb and Klondike.

I am occasionally annoyed by reposts, but mostly I look at a repost as "an oldie but a goodie", and I enjoy the reminder of a good picture I'd already seen.

I appreciate Sal32, also. But I don't often equate starting a thread with owning a thread--unless it's a very short-lived thread. When a thread becomes as active as Life's a Beach, I look at it as the thread starter started a good thing, and gave it to the forum. In other words, I don't see at as Sal32's thread to control.

Finally, threads like Life's a Beach are so big it's really impossible to post without risk of reposting. The only way to prevent reposts on such a successful thread would be to stop new postings. (And of course the thread would no longer be successful.)

Sal32, please don't take offense at any of this. I mean no disrespect toward you and I love what you've done for the forum over and over.

ctcook
I wasn't going to respond here, in part because Fango or another mod will probably delete it anyway soon enough, but - since you "asked"...(and hopefully Fango will read this before hitting "delete"

Here's what I have to say about the "thread ownership" issue:

Quote:
As long as the thread starter continues to be active in posting and responding to his thread, it is a general practice and courtesy in this forum for others adding pics to attempt to conform to the type of content offered by the thread owner. By "type of content" I mean not only the topic but the "repost ratio" and even the sheer volume of content as this alone could "hijack" or wrestle control over the thread from the thread owner (who may have put a considerably amount of time and effort into his thread).
This may be an unwritten rule, but it is widely practiced, and I think could be stated expliciting in the posting guidelines section. And it also MAKES SENSE! - because when people don't follow this practice, members suffer! They can no longer be guaranteed an orderly and predictable thread covering the topic of interest. I know that reposts inevitably grow as a thread grows, but there ought to be a "clause" in this statement to the effect that
continued bumping of these threads with reposted material after the original stuff dries up is not encouraged. In otherwords, let these threads die rather than become REPOST HEAVEN!!

If Fango removes this, I hope he and the other mods will still consider addressing this "thread ownership" issue with a formal statement like the one above, as it is clear that still not everyone gets it.

thanks,

Klondike

Last edited by Klondike; 01-29-2010 at 11:17 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Klondike For This Useful Post: