View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Thanked 4,426 Times in 243 Posts
Default I Can Get Away With It Because "Other Women Are Doing It"

Several people here have used the term "plausible deniability" to explain times when women risk doing sexual things that they KNOW are sexually wrong or unfaithful or beyond conventional bounds, such as undressing with curtains open or spreading their legs too wide in a skirt or letting a man look down their loose tops, as long as they can plausibly deny that it was deliberate.

I have another theory of times when women willingly do things that they KNOW are wrong, or out of bounds. I call it the "I can get away with it because other women are doing it" syndrome. Not "peer pressure", but "peer liberation". Mob mentality, perhaps?

I thought about this recently when I was at the grocery store and, as always, saw some MILFs and other women wearing yoga pants. In the business world, all of the women in my office, young and old, know that if they wear yoga pants to work that they have to have something long covering their butt and crotch, because they show off every little detail. But at the mall, the grocery store, and around my subdivision, many don't. Call it fashion if you want, call if comfortable maybe, but I think at least some percentage of grown women doing this know that they are publicly exposing more than they should to men, but feel they can get away with it because they see "other women do it."

Attire is a big one for this, I believe. Sure there are women who are shy and reluctant to wear skimpy outfits but do because it's the latest fashion and due to peer pressure. But my theory is that a lot of women will wear too-short skirts, too-low tops, tiny thongs, or too-skimpy bathing suits in places that they KNOW are just beyond the bounds of accepted decency and may get them sexual attention, and justify doing it by saying, at least to themselves, "it's okay because the other women are doing it."

Here is one personal observation where this syndrome may have occurred:

Kissing men under mistletoe, or at the stroke of midnight at New Years Eve. It's been decades since I was at a bona-fide New Years party with friends, but there were a few times when the wives and girlfriends kissed me, and every other man not already passed out, at midnight. And they weren't just a peck on the cheek or lips. It was full-on deep passionate French kissing. Seeking other men she knows and sliding her tongue around his mouth wouldn't have been tolerated the other 364 days and 23 hours of the year. But they stretched the custom because "all of the women were doing it."
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to George VI For This Useful Post: