View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Thanked 7,377 Times in 552 Posts

Nobody seems to have noticed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlubby View Post
Interesting idea. Lately, I've been wondering if they can just make it so that the "Automatically parse links in text" checkbox isn't checked by default. I've unclicked that checkbox in this post, and it doesn't add links to "www" links, OR to "HTTP" or "HTTPS" links.
Examples:
www.google.com
http://www.google.com
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlbUBGIIBFg

I don't know how VBulletin works, but in other systems, it would be as simple as going to the correct template PHP file and changing this line:
<input name="parseurl" value="1" id="cb_parseurl" tabindex="1" checked="checked" type="checkbox">
to this
<input name="parseurl" value="1" id="cb_parseurl" tabindex="1" type="checkbox">

I agree, at this point it seems like it would be a lot easier to change something about the configuration than to have the mods have to change posts all the time. Sure, newbies might add links on purpose, but that might be a smaller problem than intermittently-contributing members forgetting, or people from non-English speaking countries not really understanding when they're told to stop.
Sorry if this comes off as technical, but it's not really that technical, and it works. The only real drawback is that it would mean you have to click the "Automatically parse links in text" checkbox to ON (or use the URL tags) if you want to make internal links. We can complain and wish all we want about people not being stubborn or stupid or new or overwhelmed or non-English-speaking, but this has been a problem, and a soft "rule", for years. And I bet the great majority of even heavy contributors outside the Free Sites forum STILL don't get this. I don't think it's ever going to change well enough through simple "education".

EDIT: sigh, ignore the fact that there are links in my quoted text. I didn't uncheck the box in this post. They aren't there in the original.
The Following User Says Thank You to schlubby For This Useful Post: