Thread: [Links to Fictional Stories] Additional Reading
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 AM

I don't think the real problem is really so much that people are lacking creative juices for chapters. I think the real problem is that stories are too broad to begin with. Often I see stories that seem really interesting. But I'll open it and I'll be presented with the choice of 3 - 4 different main characters. And then each of those characters will have the choice of 4 different locations each in the second chapter. Don't those writers realize they just started 20 completely different, concurrent stories? And then if the third choice is about something cosmetic like clothes or hair color we'll be at about 80 different stories before we even get started...

To be successful an interactive story need focus and meaningful choices, especially at the beginning when each choice is so exponential. Create the character and the setting. Focus the story on one theme and get it started. If you really want to talk about another character or theme then start another story. Stories that are too aimless never get close to meaningful.

I wrote this on my phone so sorry for any typos. It's been a pain.