View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Curator of the museum of public nudity

Thanked 106,743 Times in 6,172 Posts
Default The "World Record Skinny-dip attempt" thread

No, this is not an "attempt at a thread" but a "skinny-dip record attempt" thread!!!

OK, how many times in the past year have you said to yourself "darn, I keep seeing and reading about all of these World Record Skinny-dip attempts, but I just can't keep track of them all!" Well, you are not alone. So, in an effort to help you wade through the morass of pics, vids and news reports, I will see if I can pull together some information for you. Oh, and pics too..

Anyway, from what I can tell, skinny-dip record attempts that have taken place over the past 3-4 years fall into one of two categories. In the first category we have lone, SINGLE attempts that are restricted to one beach only. I don't have a good handle yet on where all these lone, single attempts have been made, but examples would include the various dips down in NZ of which several have taken place recently. The most recent here (and what prompted this thread) is the world record skinny-dip from Gisborne, 12-30-12. See the pic below. Also, Wales holds now an annual dip as part of a cancer fundraiser. They held the previous world record at 413 (At Gisborne the other day, they put 506 into the water).

But what I didn't fully realize until now is that the whole World Record Skinny-dip thing really kicked off in 2009 when the AANR got involved and negotiated with the people at the Guinness book of world records to create a new category of skinny dip record. This has confused me up until now, and I still don't fully understand it. But from what I know at this point, the AANR World Record attempt is for simultaneous skinny dipping at multiple locations. Before 2009, there was no Guinness world record category for this. Now there is. So, in other words, the AANR organized over 100 dips to take place at various clubs and nude beaches around the US, with the idea being to set a record for most people naked in the water at one time regardless of where they were naked. That first year, they put over 12,000 naked people in the water at 3Pm on July 10th during National Nude Recreation Week. Of course, since that was the first time anyone had ever attempted this, it set a World Record.

And so along comes 2010, and once again, the AANR is sponsoring another simultaneous World Record skinny-dip attempt exactly one year after the first one. And once again, over 100 clubs and beaches are participating including Haulover, Wreck, Lagunaa del Sol, etc. Now you can read the results from that year at this link:

http://101thingsbeforeyoudie.com/201...rld-records-2/

And so, you will see that after the final count in 2010, they beat the 2009 record by putting almost 14,000 naked people in the water at one time. But what got me curious from looking at this link is how the numbers added up, because you will note that some locations like Haulover put more people in the water (Over 700) than did any of the folks in NZ or Wales during their single world record attempts. So then, why doesn't Haulover hold the World Record for a single, lone skinny dip? I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't count it as a single attempt as it was part of this AANR simultaneous thing. Or perhaps, maybe they didn't document it properly or follow some other rule or guideline required by the Guinness people. Anyway, during the 2010 AANR simultaneous skinny dip attempt, several locations put more than 400 nudes in the water, while the Guinness record at the time for a single attempt was only 413. OK, you all got this single vs simultaneous business straight?

Anyway, well I don't know about you, but its the pics that matter the most, right!! I mean, whether they show a dip from one of the AANR sponsored ones or from a lone dip like in NZ, they are going to mostly look alike. But anyway, so in the hunt for pics - keep this in mind: The number of single, lone dips is relatively small. On the other hand, literally 100's of dips have taken place as part of AANR's annual, simultaneous world record attempt. This means that pics could surface from any of these AANR dips, and all you need to know in searching is the name of the beach or club + "World Record", "Skinny-dip" etc as search terms. So lets see what we can come up with, and use the list of locations in the link above to help you out.

So, I'll be back in a bit to put up some pics. BUt once again, the world record skinny dip business is divided into two categories: single dips (record is now 506) and simultaneous dips (multiple locations but at the same time). The latter record is at least 14,000 (I assume that in 2011 and 2012 the AANR attempt was made again)

I leave you with a pic showing the Gisborne, NZ world record dip. They expected up to 1000. Someday, some beach somewhere will break that milestone. And we will report it right here in this thread!!

KLondike
Attached Thumbnails
pic200.jpeg  

Last edited by Klondike; 12-31-2012 at 09:26 PM.
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Klondike For This Useful Post: