Thread: British Comedy
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 07:15 PM

Thanked 75,313 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default British Comedy

Having noticed the recent thread "Older Sexy Comedy" by member spooled, about comedy shows that have nudity in them, brought me to mind the sketches of Dave Allen, one of the first "Alternative Comedians" (before it came to mean alternative to comedy). His show ran from 1971 to 1986, and was one of the first comedians to have nudity in some of his sketches. Indeed, although labelled alternative, many of his gags have a Benny Hill feel to them, though how Dave Allen used nudity was somewhat inventive.

Like this first sketch, from Series 2, which involves a Hypnotist show, which has always fascinated me. I love the beginning part when Allen (as the hypnotist) calls for a volunteer, and when a man stands up he tells him "Thank you sir, but I prefer to use a female. You will understand why after I have demonstrated." It's obvious why, as audience member Jacqueline Clarke is encouraged onto the stage, but it doesn't work out quite how he expects it. I could foresee one part of the twist, but the nudity part is quite an eye opener for 1972. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (1420).jpg   Screenshot (1421).jpg  

Screenshot (1422).jpg   Screenshot (1425).jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: mpg Dave Allen Hypnotist_Show (1972)_mpeg2video.mpg (44.92 MB, 950 views)
Streaming Videos