Old 09-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanked 7,432 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyJ View Post
Videos from Norway

vimeo.com/285713319

spencertunick.com/360-video

These can be downloaded in firefox how?
It’s straightforward to download, but getting a desktop app to play it correctly is a challenge. I downloaded several versions of the file, tried a YouTube app that edits the video to include position data, and VLC (the only player I have that even supports 360-degree video at all) only plays one of them in 360, and it comes out looking a lot lower-res than it does on Vimeo. I don’t think I’ve ever said this before, but this video actually works best online. If you have Google Cardboard or a similar VR headset, watching it on the Vimeo app is incredible. The main downside is that you pretty much have to let it play, and you can’t easily pause, play, and skip around in the VR headset.

360 support is new for computers, though, and it will probably get better over the next couple years, so maybe the copies we download today will look a lot better when we find them again in the future. I’ve already had that happen with 4K video. A bunch of them that I downloaded 2 years ago were unwatchably slow when I got them, but the 4K support has gotten so much better since then, I’m glad I didn’t delete them to free up all the disk space the huge files use.

Last edited by Fango; 09-16-2018 at 09:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to schlubby For This Useful Post: