Thread: WNBR 2016
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Thanked 1,159 Times in 126 Posts

I would actually suggest that some of the small rides do more harm than good. People who see these go away thinking WNBR is just about middle aged to elderly men, almost entirely long time naturists, riding about in small groups for no obvious reason. At least the bigger rides get positive coverage, by and large, and the message is obvious.

The Hastings one I did in 2014, despite being pretty small (just over 50 riders) and 95% male, at least got a good response from the spectators and got the message over.

The 2014 Canterbury ride looked like things were moving in the right direction, with about 100 taking part and even some women among the participants. Unfortunately at least one of these was harassed by one or more fellow riders. I think the 'stiffgate' debacle last year made this ride a laughing stock and I would be very surprised if there was another in 2017.

If Brighton gets the sort of weather Canterbury had today, turnout is sure to be high and the atmosphere superb. But no doubt that one will be grey/cool/windy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fdooby For This Useful Post: