Thread: WNBR 2012
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Curator of the museum of public nudity

Thanked 106,738 Times in 6,172 Posts

Speculating again on Seattle's subpar WNBR -

Every year, it seems, the Fremont Parade sparkles and then the Seattle WNBR just kind of doesn't live up. But it can't have anything to do with the girls being shy, because they flock to the more public of the two rides. They flock to Fremont, in other words. So one theory is that girls really dig the costumed aspect of Fremont, i.e. they love having an opportunity to get "dressed up" in paint. And maybe that does make them feel less naked compared to WNBR where there are no expert body painters on hand. And so, they do Fremont which gives them their "fix" for the year and they don't really need to do another ride three weeks later. But yeah, for the chicks, Fremont is "it". Nothing that comes after can compare. And the Seattle WNBR does seem to have that strong clique of male riders that go year after year - I think this could also inhibit the female turnout somewhat.

But really, its the Fremont Parade, not the WNBR that ought to get franchised across the globe, IMHO. Not that the WNBR is all that bad really - its not. But somehow, perhaps its because the solstice parade is more about fun, themed costumes and dress up, role play, etc and less about protest - it attracts a more theatrically oriented crowd and one that is packed with young women. If you tell a woman that she is going to be able to get "dressed up" while also remaining naked, that might appeal to her on more than one level now. Witness Fantasy Fest where female turnout is also very strong. So I think down the road when I design my perfect public nudity event, then try to spread it across the globe, I will make it in part a fashion show - naked of course, but with a strong "dress up" component. That will pull in all of these women that don't give a hoot about politics or nature and just like to show off their threads or lack thereof. And when you call something a "parade", the images that come to mind in part are those of costumed people, all dressed up like at an outdoor fashion show. Naked or not, that appeals to an awful lot of women. Contrast that to a protest, which, truth be told, turns off a lot of women. Its a different crowd with different motives, and far fewer choose the latter..(I know, mega WNBR's get more riders, but the WNBR is not a protest like Occupy Wall Street - its a mix - really a fun in the sun ride/protest).

Klondike

Last edited by Klondike; 07-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klondike For This Useful Post: